Levy County is located in north-central Florida and is approximately 133 miles southwest of the State capitol, Tallahassee. The county is comprised of 1,413 square miles, of which 1,118 square miles is land and 295 square miles is water. Levy County serves more than 40,000 residents. The County is governed by the Levy County Board of County Commissioners. The Commission, which is the legislative branch of government, serves as the county governing board for the residents of the unincorporated areas.
Levy County, the 27th Florida County, was formed on March 10, 1845, one week after Florida gained statehood on March 3, 1845. The county was named for David Levy Yulee, a territorial delegate to Congress prior to Florida statehood and one of Florida's first U.S. Senators after attaining statehood.
The incorporated communities in Levy County include: Williston, Yankeetown, Chiefland, Bronson, Cedar Key, Fanning Springs, Inglis, and Otter Creek. Census-designated places: Andrews, East Bronson, East Williston, Manatee Road, Morriston, Raleigh, and Williston Highlands. Other unincorporated communities: Camp Azalea, Ellzey, Fowlers Bluff, Gulf Hammock, Lebanon Station, Rosewood, Turkeytown, and Usher